So with the Olympics over, and TV schedules back to normal, how many of us have been inspired by our gold medal winners to get our running shoes on, or do you just feel too tired and want to curl up on the sofa watching Eastenders? There are many reasons why we might be feeling tired, however one of them may be due to a lack of iron in our diet.
Iron cannot be produced by the body and so we must get it all from our diet. Iron deficiency is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies in the world, with women being at particular risk, especially during their child bearing years. Too little iron in the body can cause anaemia and one of the main symptoms of anaemia is tiredness. Other symptoms include; pale skin, weakness, headaches, light-headedness, cold hands and feet, brittle nails, irregular heartbeat and a reduced immune system.
Iron deficiency can be prevented with a balanced diet containing foods rich in iron. The best dietary sources of iron are red meats, especially beef and liver. Poultry and seafoods, such as scallops, salmon, sardines and mussels are also good sources. Non-meat foods rich in iron include; broccoli, sprouts, nuts, eggs and dried fruits. Also some foods are iron-fortified, such as cereal and bread.
In some cases, it can be difficult to get all the iron we need from diet alone and it can be recommended to replenish diminished iron levels in the body with an iron supplement, which is when Floradix can help.
What makes Floradix so special?
- Contains iron gluconate which is well absorbed by the body.
- Herbal extracts, from nettle, carrots, fennel , help to maintain a healthy digestion.
- Contains vitamin C and fruit concentrates to enhance the iron absorption.
- Fruit juices give Floradix a pleasant taste.
- Free from chemical preservatives, colourings and flavourings.
- Free from alcohol, animal derivatives, nuts, lactose and dairy products.
- Suitable for vegetarians.
Floradix contains 15mg of iron per daily dose (20ml) and is available from Holland & Barrett, health food stores and selected